Located next to the Circulation Desk on the first floor, the Reserve Desk contains books and materials placed there by faculty members and graduate teaching assistants for the use of their students. These may include books from the library collection, personal copies of books, photocopies of articles and parts of books (within copyright law), course notes and sample exams, and other items. Copies of previous course examinations are also available here as well as the University budget.
Materials are arranged by course name and number and are loaned within a certain time period, usually two hours. Valid university ID cards are required to access these materials.
We serve only the faculty and students of the University, as Reserve materials are held for specific purposes having only to do with University courses. There are, however, some exceptions to this rule. While we cannot allow course materials held to circulation to town borrowers, alumni or visitors, we do allow those groups to have access to references such as the University budget. These "special reserves" are used only for two hours per person and only within the library.
Students must present their current University identification cards when requesting any type of material.
Materials are usually placed on reserve at the beginning of the semester but they may be placed at any time. Please make requests early enough to have the materials processed before they are needed by students. To remove items from reserve, please call the Reserve Desk at (337) 482-6025.
The following types of materials may be placed on reserve:
- Books from the library collection
- Personal and departmental copies of books
- Photocopied journal articles and parts of books (within copyright law provisions)
- Sample exams, class notes
- Audio and video cassettes
- Music CD's and CD ROMS
There are four types of loan periods: two-hour library-use-only, one day, three day and seven day. The loan period for materials is designated by the instructor who places the material on reserve. No renewals of any kind are allowed.
- Two-hour Reserves: Restricted to use within the library and two hours at a time per person.
- One-Day Reserves: Materials may be checked out at any time during the day and can be returned at any time during hours of operation the following day.
- Three-Day Reserves: materials may be checked out for three days and returned at any time during hours of operation on the third day.
- Seven-Day Reserves: materials may be checked out for seven days and returned at any time during hours of operation on the seventh day.
Fees and Fines
Fines for Reserve material are as follows: $.25 per hour for two-hour materials and $.50 per day for one, three or seven day materials. Maximum fine per item is $10.00. There is also a $5.00 per item fine for two-hour material due at close and kept until the following day.
Any questions regarding this policy, or about information not covered, should be directed to: