What is Government Information?
Government information and government information products are published, compiled, or created by the government, at government expense or as required by law. This applies to all government publications, regardless of format.
Find Online Resources Find Print and other Formats or Media
What is a Federal Depository Library?
The Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) was established by the authority of Title 44, Section 19 of the U.S. Code (PDF). Libraries designated as depositories agree to provide free public access to government publications. Edith Garland Dupré Library is a Federal Depository of the 3rd U.S. Congressional District.
What Subjects are Covered in Government Publications?
Government publications provide current and historical information on a wide range of subjects: art and architecture, business and economics, consumer protection, criminal justice, culture and folklife, education, energy and the environment, foreign and international relations, health and medicine, labor, laws and regulations, nutrition, and science and technology. Government publications include primary and secondary research and information sources.
What types of Materials, Formats, and Media are Published by the Government and Found in Depository Libraries?
Print or Tangible Collections:
- Scientific and Technical Reports
- Legal Resources
- Audio and Video Cassettes
- Digital resources, eBooks and other online collections
What is a SuDoc Number?
A SuDoc number is a call number assigned to a government publication. The SuDoc classification system is based on the principle of provenance. SuDoc is an abbreviation for Superintendent of Documents.
Where are Government Publications Located in Dupré Library?
- U.S. Government Documents Collection (1st Floor near the Reference Desk) – These publications have SuDoc call numbers
- Main Stacks (Standard shelving on all floors) – These publications have Library of Congress (LC) call numbers
- Reference & Research Department Collection – 1st Floor
- Microforms – 1st Floor
- Louisiana Room – 3rd Floor
- Search online publications, databases, or federal websites via U.S. Government Information.
How do I Search for Government Publications and Information?
There are many ways to access government publications and information: