Find Audio & Video Recordings
- What information does the Library Catalog provide about the recordings?
- Are all of the recordings in the CCMC listed in the catalog?
- How do I search for recordings and music in the Library Catalog?
- After I get the search results, how do I view all of the information available for these?
- Where are Louisiana and traditional music recordings located in Dupré Library?
- Titles of recordings (albums, records, CDs, DVDs, etc.)
- Titles of songs
- Names of musicians, bands, performers, composers, artists, recording studios, record labels, sound engineers, producers, publishers, festivals, concerts, other live performances, and more
- Place names (city, state, country) of recording studios, publishers and producers, live performances, festivals, and other concerts or events
- Record labels, catalog or issue numbers, and matrix numbers
- Subjects and keywords for styles and genres of music, dance, and other topics
- Subjects and keywords for musical instruments
- Notes and credits for instrument and vocal performances
- Language of vocals, lyrics, liner notes, etc.
- Information about the artwork, cover art, etc.
- Availability of liner notes and other accompanying materials
- Other credits
No. The extensive cataloging of the Cajun and Creole Music Collection is a work in progress. Most of the CDs, LP record albums, DVDs and VHS tapes owned by the CCMC are listed in the Library Catalog.
Author search examples:
- Allan, Johnnie
- Balfa Brothers
- Graeff, Benny
- Ida, Queen
- Lanor Records
Title search examples:
- J'ai été au bal
- I went to the dance
Subject: Use subjects from the Library of Congress subject headings. View a list of examples of Library of Congress subject headings (PDF)(LC Authorities) used for CCMC recordings.
Subject search examples:
- Cajun music
- Creoles Louisiana music
- fiddle tunes
- swamp pop music
- zydeco music
- Buckwheat Zydeco [name]
- Cajun dancing [topic]
- Creole music [topic]
- I went to the dance [song title]
- J'ai été au bal [song title]
- Keith Frank and the Soileau Zydeco Band [name]
- Rounder Records [company or label name]
- sound recording [format or media type]
- triangle [instrument]
- Cajun & Creole Music Collection = CCMC
- Cajun & Creole Music Collection-Archival Collection = CCMC-ARCH
- Traditional Music Collection-General = TRAD-MUSIC
After I get the search results and select specific entries/titles, how do I view all of the information available for these?
The Library Catalog has multiple views or display options. A Full Catalog Record option is available.
Locations and abbreviations listed in the Library Catalog:
- Cajun & Creole Music Collection = CCMC — Floor 3 (in Gaines Center)
- Cajun & Creole Music Collection-Archival = CCMC-ARCH — Floor 3 (in Gaines Center)
- Traditional Music Collection-General = TRAD-MUSIC — Floor 3 (with CCMC in Gaines Center)
- Louisiana Room = LA-ROOM — Floor 3
- Video Collection [VHS only] = VIDEO — Floor 2
- Circulation Desk [CDs, DVDs & audiocassettes only] = CIRC — Floor 1