The purpose of this department is:
- to keep the materials (microforms and newspapers) in order and accessible to the public
- to keep the viewing, printing and listening equipment in working order and accessible to the public
- to have available at all times, to the extent possible, trained personnel to assist the public in using the materials and equipment
- to maintain a quiet, orderly atmosphere conducive to study and learning
All services of the Microforms Department are available on-site to anyone and everyone with no exclusions and with no identification required during all hours that Dupré Library is open. The viewing and copying services are available to Dupré Library patrons of the U.S. Government Information, Reference and Research Services, Louisiana Room, University Archives and Acadiana Manuscripts Collection, and the Center for Louisiana Studies, as well as those patrons who bring microforms in from outside of the library. Limited services may be provided by telephone and mail at the discretion of the supervisor, for example, giving the closing price of a stock or a currency exchange rate on a specific date over the telephone or mailing a copy of material from a source not generally available elsewhere.
Circulation of Microforms
- No items are to be circulated to patrons for use out of Dupré Library.
- Microforms are loaned when necessary for brief periods (up to one day) to personnel in the Cataloging Department, Louisiana Room, University Archives and Manuscripts Collection, or the Center for Louisiana Studies for use in its departments. All borrowers are to sign a borrower's card. All materials are to be returned at the end of the workday, even if the borrower is not finished with them, to have them available to patrons at night and on weekends.
- Microforms are not loaned through interlibrary loan unless a direct order to loan a specific item is given by the Assistant Dean for Special Collections Services, in which case copies of all paperwork are to be furnished to the supervisor to facilitate follow-up.
- Microforms not in use are to be refiled. Items are not to be held out of the files for any reason. The filing is done by employees only.
Patrons may make copies from microfilm. Materials owned by the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, or obtained through Interlibrary loan for the University patrons, may be printed free of charge. Materials from other sources may be printed for $0.25 per page.
Direct any questions regarding this policy to:
Edith Garland Dupré Library
400 E St Mary Blvd
Lafayette, LA 70503
[ Last Revised on December 19, 2019 ]