The Jefferson Caffery Reading Room serves as the research area for Special Collections patrons. It is located on the 3rd Floor of Edith Garland Dupré Library at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
Patrons can make requests using the following methods:
- In-Person: All materials in Special Collections are non-circulating and cannot leave the Reading Room. To check out items, patrons must produce proper identification (for the University community, their Cajun Card; for outside community, a picture ID such as a driver’s license or passport) and complete or have on file a current registration form, which is provided by Special Collections staff. When requesting archival materials, a request form needs to be completed for each individual collection. Certain materials may be loaned out on a case-by-case basis.
- Phone: Patrons may call the Special Collections reference desk phone at (337) 482-6031.
- Mail: Mail requests will be forwarded directly to the Reference Archivist. Digitization requests by mail will be forwarded directly to the Digitization Archivist.
- Email: Patrons may email Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org. Email responses are normally sent within 48 hours, excluding weekends and holidays.
- Live Chat: Patrons may make requests via live chat on the Special Collections page of the University Libraries website. A staff member at the reference desk will answer promptly.
Special Collections reserves the right to not fulfill requests based on time, distance, cost, or lack of vital information.
Food and drink items are prohibited. These items must either be kept in an enclosed bag or backpack or finished/thrown away outside the Reading Room.
Only pencils may be used in the Reading Room. Ink pens and other such writing utensils are strictly prohibited. While pencils are provided at each worktable, pencils cannot be borrowed or taken outside the Reading Room.
For duplication requests:
- Digital cameras and cell phones are permitted in order to make digital image copies of materials. Flash and sound must be turned off. Donor and copyright restrictions apply and unauthorized reproduction and publishing with personal cameras are prohibited.
- Patrons may use their own external drives to use the digital scanner and STEP computers. External drives cannot be used in the reference desk computer or staff’s personal computers. Special Collections will not put digitized materials on external drives (flash drives, DVDs, CDs, etc.) brought in from outside the Library. Special Collections will provide these devices if needed.
- Personal scanners are prohibited with exceptions made at the discretion of the Head of Special Collections.
- To publish digital materials, patrons must complete a Permission to Publish form. An additional Commercial Use form will have to be completed if the patron or the patron’s organization plans to profit off the digital image (refer to the Library’s Digitization and Photoduplication Policy for more information).
- To photocopy materials, patrons must go to the Circulation Desk to obtain a Copy Card. Special Collections will not provide a card to photocopy.
- Any fees or fines must be paid by check or money order made payable to “Edith Garland Dupré Library”. Cash and credit card will not be accepted.
Consult the University’s Digitization and Photoduplication Policy for more information on obtaining digital surrogates.
The Reading Room is a quiet area, meaning that it is not a group study area or allocated for meetings. Conversations between patrons in this area must be kept to a minimum and at a level that does not disturb other patrons. Cell phones need to be kept on silent, and calls need to be taken outside the Reading Room.
To use the Reading Room and microfilm computers, consult the Special Collections staff for login credentials.
- Patrons can request to put materials on hold. Materials will remain on hold for no longer than one week unless extended by the patron on a weekly basis.
Any questions regarding this policy, or about information not covered, should be directed to:
Edith Garland Dupré Library
400 E St Mary Blvd
Lafayette, LA 70503
[ Last Revised on April 10, 2019 ]