The purpose of the STEP lab is to provide Internet access and common application software as well as assistance and printing services to support the instruction and research needs of students and other patrons of Dupré Library. The lab includes hardware and staff allowing for the utilization of an environment of current technological standards. The lab will stay as abreast of technological innovation and development as the confines of a limited budget allow. Acquisition of new equipment, software, and services will be made at the discretion of the STEP Coordinator and the STEP Council.
Equipment and Software
- 150 + computers across first and second floors
- Operating System: Windows 7
- Web Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Office 2013 applications includes Word (word processor), Excel (spreadsheet), Power Point (presentations), and Access (database)
- Adobe Reader
- PDF creator
- SOPHOS (anti-virus)
- Four express computers with a ten-minute time limit and two computers for the physically disabled
- Three printers available for printouts in the Lab. There is a 250 page limit per semester for students. All unclaimed printouts will be discarded at the end of the day. For more information, see Library STEP Computer Lab Printing.
The systems are on the university's WIN domain and have all the programs that are available over the Common Login Environment. The systems have sound cards but no speakers.
Users must login to the system using their CLID. For assistance accessing U.S. government information, users should ask at the Reference Desk. The system accesses the Common Login Environment. When using your UCS accounts, you may save to the My Documents folder. You will able to access this folder when you login to any STEP Computer Lab. Users must log off the system before leaving the labs.
After ten minutes of inactivity, the system will log off the user. Please save your files!
If you need to set up a UCS account, please go to the Help Desk at Stephens Hall, Room 201. If you change your password and are unable to access ULink, STEP lab computers, or the IT network, you will need to sync your password to all IT Resources. Ask STEP Lab staff or the Help Desk for help if necessary. Visit the Help Desk website to sync your password.
Policies and Regulations
- Users must abide by the networking and computing policies of the University.
- Internet chatting, game playing, and pornography will not be tolerated in the lab. Any student observed violating these rules will lose his/her PC Lab privileges. Infractions will be treated on a case by case basis and at the discretion of the systems STEP Coordinator.
- Three printers are available for printouts in the library's STEP Lab. Print quotas are set at 250 pages per student per semester at a cost of $0.10 per page. Each student is given a $25.00 credit in their account at the beginning of each semester. For more information, see Library STEP Computer Lab Printing.
- Users who are not properly logged on, discovered switching usernames or sharing accounts will not be allowed to use the system.
- No use or installation of unapproved software on the computer systems.
- Do not change any system configurations.
- Users must respect copyright laws or software licensing agreements in their use of the lab. The lab is not to be used for any commercial activities.
- The library is not responsible for the content of materials accessed on the Internet.
- No destruction of property to the STEP Lab equipment.
- Please keep your work area neat and clean, free of trash and excess printouts.
- Keep your voices down, because others are trying to do their work.
- Dispose of unwanted papers in the recycle bin.
- Users must log off the system before leaving the labs.
- All services shut down 15 minutes before library closing.
- Announcements will be made before closing.
Employment in the STEP Lab
For help using the STEP Lab computers, ask the lab staff on duty. Changes may be made to this policy at the discretion of the STEP Coordinator. All questions or comments should be directed to the STEP Coordinator.