There is a limited number of study carrels at Dupré Library for use by the current University of Louisiana at Lafayette faculty and graduate students. Carrels are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. Those with questions regarding the study carrels should inquire in person at the Reference Desk or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carrels are assigned based on availability. Those on the waitlist will be contacted when a carrel becomes available. There is a $2.00 deposit required to obtain a key to the carrel, which can be paid by either cash or check at the Physical Plant in Parker Hall. This deposit will be refunded when the key is returned.
Faculty must renew their carrel at the end of each spring semester, whereas graduate students must renew on a semester-to-semester basis. Carrel occupants will be contacted via email during their renewal period. If the carrel occupant does not renew the carrel, their deposit is forfeited, and the carrel is reassigned. Exceptions to this policy are made by the Dean of University Libraries only.
Rules & Regulations
When a carrel is loaned, the occupant must review the following list of rules. A failure to abide by these rules can result in confiscation of the carrel, forfeiture of the key deposit, and fines for damage to library property.
- Locked study carrels at Dupré Library are rented to Faculty and Graduate Students.
- Graduate students may reserve a carrel on a semester to semester basis; faculty may reserve carrels yearly. The carrels may be renewed at the end of the reservation term. Each owner will receive a renewal form before the term expires. The renewal form must be returned by the renewal date to the Reference Desk or the owner will be charged for key replacement and the carrel will be reassigned.
- There is a $2.00 deposit required to obtain a key to the carrel which can be paid by either cash or check at the Physical Plant in Parker Hall. This deposit will be refunded when the key is returned.
- The carrels are not completely enclosed and are, therefore, not secure. Dupré Library is not responsible for items left in carrels. This includes library books.
- Library books left in carrel must be checked out to the carrel's occupant. Library personnel will check carrels periodically and books left in carrels that are not checked out will be returned to the shelf.
- Be courteous. Keep noise to a minimum. Always use headphones when listening to laptops, tablets, phones, etc.
- At the end of the carrel reservation term, or if leaving the University, the carrel key must be returned to the library.
If you would like to keep your study carrel, complete a Renewal Form. You must be a full-time student to use the carrel. If you no longer need your carrel, return the key for a refund of your deposit. Return either this renewal form or the carrel key by the end of your renewal period, or you will be charged for the key replacement, and your carrel will be reassigned.
[ Last Revised on January 31, 2020 ]