Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camps. Collection, 1933, 1934
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men. The CCC was a major part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal that provided unskilled manual labor jobs related to the conservation and development of natural resources in rural lands owned by federal, state, and local governments. The CCC was designed to provide jobs for young men to relieve families who had difficulty finding jobs during the Great Depression in the United States.
This group planted nearly 3 billion trees to help reforest America, constructed trails, lodges, and related facilities in more than 800 parks nationwide, upgraded most state parks, updated forest fire fighting methods, and built a network of service buildings and public roadways in remote areas.
Judith Leger donated the photographs from 1933; her father was a member of the group (is pictured in the August 1933 photograph). Dee Tauzin donated the photograph from 1934; her uncle, Alcee Jefferson Pothier, Jr., was a member and is pictured.
|Photograph 1 is hanging on the wall in the Jefferson Caffery Reading Room. Photograph 2 can be found in Map Case 13-11. Photograph 3 has been placed with the oversized frames collections.|
|1.||CCC Company, 1435, Olla, Lousiana, August 1933|
|1st Lt. Thomas T. Mayo, 8th INF COMDG|
|2.||CCC Company, Urania Forrest, Co. No. 1492, Olla, Louisiana, 5 December 1933|
|James W. McNeer, Capt. Field Artillery Res. C.O.|
|3.||CCC Company, 1435, Ansley, Louisiana, September 1934|
|Capt. B.J. Peters, Com’dg|