Note: Larger holdings are labeled "Collection"; smaller holdings (less than 2½ inches) are labeled "Manuscript".
Concert scores arranged by Jack LaBauve, who taught brass, percussion and musical arranging at Southwestern Louisiana Institute (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) from 1948 to 1977.
Correspondence of the LaBauve-Pischoff families. Also includes business papers of Mr. T. A. LaBauve.
Mr. T.J. Labbe, Sr. was a druggist and was also interested in farming and politics. He served as mayor of St. Martinville for two terms, elected in 1896 and 1898. In 1900, he was elected to the State Senate and served for eight years. This collection consists of news clippings related to T.J. Labbe.
Copies of legal documents and typescript of genealogy.
Miscellaneous materials from Church Point (stock certificate for the Church Point, Rayne Oil and Mineral Company); Rayne (bank report and social materials); and Sunset (printed report).
2 items, 1 film
Material on LaCour and other families of Vermilion Parish.Donated in part by Ray M. LeCour.
7.5 inches, 2 volumes
Mayor Kenny Bowen appointed the Lafayette Bicentennial Commission in 1973. John and Frances Love served as co-chairmen of the commission. This collection contains organizational records, correspondence and material on projects supported by the commission. There are also two scrapbooks of newspaper clippings.
14 volumes; 2 folders
The Lafayette Boat Club was first organized in 1956. The aim was to bring boating enthusiasts together for boating activities and to promote better and safer boating. This collection contains photograph albums documenting the history of the Lafayette Boat Club from its inception up until the 60th Anniversary in 2016. Also included are newspaper clippings and photographs. Donated by Marlene and Carrol Credeur, two of the first members and early organizers of the Lafayette Boat Club.
Scattered serials, memos, and issue oriented mimeographs, etc. from Lafayette Chamber of Commerce.
33 reels - Fiche 3 ft. 9 in. [Microform]
The Lafayette City Charter Commission was created on January 26, 1971 by appointment by the Board of Trustees for preparing a charter for the City of Lafayette. When the Charter was completed, the Lafayette Board of Trustees adopted the Home Rule Charter, which would be governed by elected officials. This collection contains six separate series of the Lafayette City official government records under these charters. Microfilmed from originals held by the Lafayette City Council of Lafayette, Lafayette City Hall, 705 West University, Lafayette, Louisiana.
1 ½ feet
The City of Lafayette Collection consists of City Ordinances, Chamber of Commerce material, Bicentennial Celebration material, festival material, and maps of Lafayette as well. Also included are videotapes.
This is an open-end collection of photographs of Lafayette and other locations in Lafayette Parish. Photographs are arranged in a classification scheme that orders the images by location, then by subject.
5 inches, 3 volumes
The Lafayette Civic Cup award was started in 1933 by the Young Men's Business Club. For the past 84 years, the award has been given to an individual who has made significant contributions to the community.
Performances held at the Lafayette Municipal Auditorium.
List of members and clippings of the Lafayette Community Concert Series.
Programs from the Lafayette Community Theatre.
Microfilm: 1 reel [35mm, positive and negative]
Membership rolls, minutes of the congregation meetings, board of trustees (1877-1946), and session (1875-1975) of this church. The church evolved from the Vermilionville Presbyterian Church to the Lafayette Presbyterian Church and finally to the Lafayette First Presbyterian Church.
After being microfilmed by Dennis Gibson in 1975 the original records were sent to the Historical Foundation of Presbyterian and Reformed Churches, Montreat, N. C.
The Lafayette Founders Committee was created in January 1974 by incumbent mayor, Kenneth F. Bowen. The first chairperson, the late Mrs. J.C. Cargois came up with the idea of the committee to honor mayors of Lafayette, and to post their photographs in the municipal building. This committee has published items as "Sheriffs of Lafayette", "Chiefs of Police, City of Lafayette","Mayors of Lafayette", etc. This collection contains publications, general records, news clippings, photographs, minutes of meetings, correspondence, and other materials.
The Lafayette Garden Club was first organized in 1930 and became a member of the national federation of garden clubs in 1940. This collection consists of scrapbooks, minutes of the Garden Club, projects, award booklets and other miscellaneous materials. Aline Arceneaux donated the bulk of this collection. Elaine Pellissier contributed many of the award booklets.
Lafayette Garden Club yearbooks.
Lafayette General Hospital (LGH) is Acadiana’s largest non-profit, community-owned regional health system. This collection consists of correspondence, minutes of meetings, financial records, general records, and other miscellaneous materials.
Lafayette High School Class of 1957 celebrated its 50th Reunion on Saturday, May 26, 2007 in Lafayette, Louisiana. This collection consists of a program for this event. This program consists of class officers, student council officers, the principal at the time, and a directory of all graduates.
Lafayette High School miscellaneous materials.
By-laws and minutes of organization meeting.
5 inches, 3 volumes
The Lafayette Jewish Cemetery Association Records chartered under the name The Menachim Avelim (comforting the mourners) in Lafayette Parish in 1890. The purpose of the society was to maintain and support a certain burial ground situated in the Town of Lafayette, LA. This collection consists of documents, membership information, financial records, and minutes of meetings. The minutes are both handwritten and typed in ledger books.
Membership lists (removed from Lyle Williams Papers).
Bicentenary of the birth of the Marquis de Lafayette, 1757-1957. Contains biographical information, newspaper clippings, correspondence, pictures, programs, menus, invitations, several French magazines and other miscellaneous materials.
Jean Mouton built the Lafayette Museum prior to 1836. The building consisted of one large room with the kitchen in the back. The kitchen was connected by a “dog-trot”, or open walkway. Governor Alexandre Mouton, whose great contribution to the history of Louisiana is well known, first occupied the house.
20 feet, 10 inches
Survey of Older Citizens of Lafayette Parish conducted in 1967-1968; information to serve as a basis for local action programs. Donated by Mr. F. M. Carson.
This collection consists of a minute book of the Lafayette Parish Democratic Executive Committee records from 1968-1976.
This collection consists of financial records of the Office of the Accessor for Lafayette Parish with dates ranging from 1941-1967. Included are correspondence, receipts, deposit slips and disbursement records. These volumes also include financial records from the Lafayette Police Jury and School Board.
Microfilm: 1 reel (16mm, negative)
This collection contains the minutes of the Lafayette Parish Police Jury from 1823 to 1833.
This memo is directed to all committee members and includes an agenda of the meeting.
19 feet, 37 volumes
The Lafayette Rotary Club was founded with twenty charter members in August, 1920. It was the first men's service club in the city. Through the years the club has been active in improving the local community with special concern for youth work. Rotarians have actively participated in the city recreation program for youth and have been leaders of the Boy Scout movement. One of the unique contributions of the club was the Rotary Boys' Band which existed from 1922 to 1939 under the direction of Frank A. Baranco. The club has also been involved with civic improvement projects such as the Lafayette Public Library and the Municipal Auditorium. The records reflect the civic involvement of the club as well as its organizational structure.
Includes a programs on The Little Theatre Club of Lafayette, 1921 and Les Comediens Français, 28 June 1947.
The Evangeline League (Lafayette White Sox) began in 1934 as a 6-team class D league in and around Louisiana. Its name comes from the Acadian legendary heroine Evangéline, made famous through a poem of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. The league quickly expanded to 8 teams and lasted until World War II, when it shut down from 1943 to 1945.
An article from “Poste Des Attakapas”. Compiled by Andre A. Olivier. Tourist Guide Through St. Martinville, La. U.S.A.
SLI graduate certificate and American Red Cross first aid certificate, 1920.
Claude Landry served in the U.S. Army for five years during World War II with the 390th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion, 3rd U.S. Army, under General G.S. Patton in the European Campaign. After his service, he worked for Rockwell International until his retirement in 1975. This collection consists of correspondence, photographs, certificates, assignment orders, dog tag, military prayer books, and other material while he served in the U.S. Army. Also included are oversize framed photographs. Mrs. Marian Yancey Landry donated the collection.
Edmond and Norbert Landry were 2 of the 5 children of Terville and Lucie Landry. The family lived in Segura and then New Iberia, LA. After military service in World War I, both brothers developed leprosy [Hansen’s disease]. Norbert moved to the Louisiana Leper Home in Carville, LA in 1919, where he died in 1924. Edmond went to Carville in 1924, surviving until 1932. This collection contains letters written by Edmond and Norbert. Itwas donated by Claire Manes and Paul Landry on behalf of the Landry family.
7 ½ inches
Margaret T. Lane was the first Louisiana Recorder of Documents. This collection consists of correspondence, speeches, transcripts of interviews, publicity, and other materials dealing with the Recorder of Documents. Margaret Lane donated this collection.
This is a collection of antique writing desks. Lap desks featured a writing surface, compartments for pens, ink, and sand or blotting paper, and storage for stationery and documents. Made of hardwoods like mahogany or walnut, these are very sturdy boxes. This collection was donated by George Newton.
This collection consists of photographs that were taken by a U.S. Marine Corps and information officer at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette). This collection was donated by George C. Larrieu.
This collection consists of Lafayette High School reunion material, Catholic Church programs, correspondence, etc. Donated by Beverly Latimer.
Letter of recommendation for Joseph Law while a student at Cumberland College in 1816. Photocopy. Donated by Roy Frusha.
4 feet, 4 volumes
The League of Women Voters of Lafayette was organized in 1945. The main objective of the League is to work for better city and parish government, better schools, and the participation of all citizens in the democratic system. This collection contains incomplete internal records of the Lafayette League from its founding. There are also items which show the connectional relationship among local, state and national leagues. The subject series reflects the range of issues addressed by the League and shows the sort of information gathered to study these concerns. Kay Bates, a charter member of the Lafayette organization, initially donated this collection. Other members have made additional donations.
13 feet, 27 volumes
A.J. LeBlanc was dedicated to promoting tourism in Acadiana through his involvement in many Louisiana tourism organizations. This collection contains his personal and professional papers, photographs, news clippings, audio/audiovisual music collection, correspondence, scrapbooks, and miscellaneous artifacts.
LeBlanc, Allen D. (1931 - ). Collection,
Dudley LeBlanc was a businessman and politician. He served as Louisiana Representative in 1924, Public Service Commissioner in 1926, and Louisiana Senator in 1948-52, 1964, 1968. He owned many businesses, inventing and promoting the famous HADACOL, which was a vitamin/mineral supplement. He claimed it cured many illnesses. This collection consists of genealogy material, photographs, correspondence, business records, etc.
This collection consists of a Journal (account book) of goods sold in LeBlanc's general store in Youngsville, Louisiana.
This collection consists of poetry by Emile LeBrenton, New Orleans, Louisiana. Typed material.
Journal recording observations (in French) made during travels in Algiers, 1846-1848. Lefevre gave this journal to his friend from New Orleans, Louisiana, Jules Dehor, in 1853.
Rachel Lemoine is a Louisiana writer who did extensive research on orphan trains. This collection consists of correspondence, research notes, articles, etc. on orphan trains. Donated by Rachel Lemoine.
Photocopies of vital records of Charles LeMoyne de Longueuil et De Chateauguay and family; documents and index compiled by Diane Baril of the Fabrique Notre-Dame de Montreal, 1974.
1 foot, 8 inches
This collection consists of journals that cover the years between 1908 and 1920, documenting Dr. Leonpacher's experiences in Europe, Canada, and the United States. These handwritten journals, mainly in German, are illustrated with photographs and drawings done by Leonpacher. They also contain some correspondence and other added items. Furthermore, the collection consists of digitized copies of these journals, as well as a DVD of Louisiana Air Tours. This collection was donated by Dr. Leonpacher’s widow Fanny (Mrs. John Doba), and son Robert J. Leonpacher. The diaries were digitized by Brian Butcher of Video 1 for Leslie Leonpacher, Louis’ granddaughter, who produced a documentary film on Dr. Leonpacher.
Purchase of the slave Lucy. Photocopy.
Les Vingt Quatre Club was founded in April 1932 and chartered and named May 1932. The club was formed to study history and current events. The club took an active role in starting a public library in Lafayette, and later established the Lafayette Museum in the Alexandre Mouton House. This collection contains correspondence, histories, a few photographs and scrapbooks of newspaper clippings, etc. The material in this collection has been photocopied and microfiched. The originals were loaned to the Archives by Virginia Yongue.
This collection consists of correspondence, programs, bulletins and other material dealing with the Diocese of Lafayette CCD program.
2 feet, 8 ½ inches
Yvonne Lavasseur was a registered nurse and a successful writer in French. She published over 200 short stories and two novels, as well as worked in the public school system. This collection includes notes from her classes at SLI and American High School, a draft of her thesis, correspondence, newspaper clippings and some of her writings.
2 ½ inches
This Collection contains a memory book from 1921, a photograph and a commencement program from Plaquemine High School.
The L’Heure de Musique Records Club of Lafayette was organized in 1949. This club is a member of the National Federation of Music Clubs. The scope of this organization is the furtherance of musical interests in Lafayette and the earnest study of music in all its phases, for the mutual benefit of its members. This collection consists of scrapbooks ranging from 1949 to 1995 which include clippings, correspondence, photographs, certificates, flyers, annual programs, etc. There is also a minute book which contains the handwritten minutes of meetings from 1955-1957.
Carmen Lindig was an educator and author who wrote The Path from the Parlor: Louisiana Women 1879-1920. This collection consists of research conducted by Dr. Lindig on notable Louisiana women, women’s rights, and the Equal Rights Amendment.
Family letters from the Litteland Muddfamilies. Donated by Joe E. Riehl.
Founded in 1935 by Dr. Edwin Lewis Stephens, scholar and educator, to promote the culture, distribution, and appreciation of the live oak tree. Membership in the Society was limited to individual live oaks known or suspected to be more than 100 years old. Live oaks under 100 years old were eligible for membership in the Junior League. Each member had an "attorney," usually its owner; the attorney paid the annual dues - 25 acorns! The president oak tree was over 500 years old. This Society stopped functioning in 1938 after the death of Stephens. Meigo Frost publicized the Society's revival in a Times-Picayune Sunday magazine article on Jan. 21, 1945. Stanley C. Arthur, director of the Louisiana State Museum, took over leadership of the Society. Collection contains books, clippings, letters, photographs, notes, articles, pamphlets, bulletins, maps, and organizational records.
Donated by Miss Willie Wynn White, daughter of the late H. H. White of Alexandria, Louisiana.
12 feet, 6 inches
Dr. Zeke L. Loflin was a faculty member and chair of the Department of Mathematics at Southwestern Louisiana Institute/University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette). He was also one of the prime movers in establishing the Computer Science program. This collection contains material from the organizations he belonged to: SLI/USL, the Department of Mathematics, professional associations, and fraternities. Dr. Loflin donated the collection.
Huey P. Long was born in 1893. He was an American politician who acted as Governor of Louisiana and then as a United States Senator from 1932-1935. He was assassinated in 1935. This collection contains acongressional record, Seventy-Second Congress, Second Session, July 21, 1933 (includes Long’s speech), and correspondence, 1933.
2 ½ inches
This is Joyce Rudsill Long’s manuscript titled “”Gleanings from Time”. The manuscript consists of 107 pages. Blank pages: 13, 21, 98,101,104. These pages are left blank intentionally. There are missing pages: 3, 27, 28, 30.
The Longfellow-Evangeline Memorial Park in St. Martin Parish is situated one mile from the town of St. Martinville (known in the early days as Poste Des Attakapas) on the banks of historic Bayou Teche.
Tim Longville is the author of these two articles and would like to dedicate these to the memory of Joseph K. Mertzweiller, who died on 26 June 1997. Donated by Denis Garret of Tennessee.
This collection consists of prints, correspondence, short stories, clippings, promotional material, photographs and other miscellaneous materials of this noted Louisiana artist.
2 feet; oversize
Eugene Nicolas (1832-1891) and Jean Louis Desire Lorrain (1835-1892) were brothers, who were born in France and immigrated to Louisiana as young men in 1854. Both men bought land, first in Vermilion Parish and later farther west in what became Jefferson Davis Parish. This collection consists of correspondence, personal papers, business records, land records and tax bills and receipts (including one from the Confederacy), and succession records for members of the Lorrain family.
Programs: Group “C” Louisiana Bankers Association, Friday March 28, 1924, Lafayette, Louisiana.
3 feet, 4 inches
The Louisiana Colonial Records contains materials regarding mostly 18th-19th century events occurring in colonial Louisiana, especially governing processes and the Cabildo. The collection contains photocopies of correspondence, legal papers, and land and slave sales. See also:Collection 329 - Colonial Louisiana Records Collrection for a larger collection of colonial records microfilmed from repositories in Europe and North America.
This collection consists of one volume of the Louisiana Conservation Commission Hearings; Geological Data dated 1938 – November 1956. This includes an index.
Includes a Daily Record and Monthly Report, and a pamphlet for a preliminary announcement of summer schools for 1908.
This organization is associated with the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) through the College of Agriculture.
2.5 feet, 13 volumes
The Louisiana Gulf Coast Oil Expedition (LAGCOE) was organized in 1955 as a non-profit corporation to promote a better understanding and appreciation of the part played by the oil industry in Louisiana society. This biannual event is located in Lafayette, and is the heart of Louisiana’s land and offshore oil activity. This collection consists of exhibit materials including brochures, pamphlets, photographs, correspondence, bylaws and resolution, history about the oil show, scrapbooks and others. Frances Love donated this collection.
1 feet, 2 ½ inches
Louisiana High School and College boxing were extremely popular between the years of 1931 through 1958. During this time, boxing was only second to football in Louisiana. The collection was assembled and donated by Don Landry while in the process of writing “Boxing: Louisiana’s Forgotten Sport”, a book on the glory days of boxing in Louisiana.
7 feet 6 inches
Mainly nomination forms for designation as historic sites, arranged alphabetically. Some administrative records of the committee.
Donated by Glenn R. Conrad, chair of the committee.
Louisiana Industrial Institute, Ruston, Louisiana. Thirteenth Biennial Report. March 1, 1920.
The Louisiana Intracoastal Seaway Association (LISA), a private nonprofit organization, was created in 1958 to manage and develop Louisiana's coastal water resources. It was considered a public relations arm of the Louisiana Coastal Commission (LCC), a state-regulated agency created in 1964. LISA performed promotional and publicity functions, such as lobbying, which the LCC was restricted from doing. LCC had the authority to coordinate planning efforts in the areas of water quality, flood control, navigation, conservation of fish and wildlife resources, and environmental enhancement. This collection contains records of LISA and LCC. Material from LISA includes correspondence, Board of Directors meetings minutes, annual meeting material, speeches, scrapbooks, pamphlets, and miscellaneous items. Material from LCC include correspondence, commission meeting minutes and minute books, committees' reports, publicity and publications, legal material, and miscellaneous information. This collection is arranged chronologically. LISA donated the records for Special Collections to be its designated repository.
The Louisiana Irrigation and Mill Company was formed in 1903 to construct a lock or locks and a dam on the Mermentau River. This collection consists of correspondence, telegrams, financial records, documents and other miscellaneous material.
1 folder, 5 items
Miscellaneous records of the Louisiana Medallion Society. Includes brochure, correspondence, newsletter, and five silver medallions. **RESTRICTED** Donated by Louisiana Medallion Society.
7 ½ inches
Louisiana Photographs Collection consists of parish photographs (homes, churches, streets, schools, entertainment, etc.), individuals, and photographs by subject.
Louisiana Postcard Collection
Collection of Louisiana posters such as festivals, cook-offs, meetings, etc.
3 feet; 40 volumes
In the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco created the Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA), planning and coordinating body that led one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. Appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate, the organization’s 33-member body with secured funding for the recovery, coordinated across jurisdictions, supported community recovery and resurgence, ensured integrity and effectiveness, and planned for the rebuilding of Louisiana. This collection contains all the working files from the Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA). Included are correspondence, publicity, committee material, reports, task force material, and other documents. John T. Landry donated the collection.
Louisiana School Work, small flyer.
Fourth annual meeting, April 20-23, 1924. New Orleans, Louisiana. Pamphlet with affiliated Agencies and Groups.
Louisiana State Rice Milling Company Records/Godchaux Family Papers includes the company records dating from about 1911; ancillary components of this collection include USL produced microfilm of the company minutes and other record books and an oral history collection.
Miscellaneous printed material from the Louisiana Teachers’ Association.
This collection contains programs from plays, certificates earned, a report card, and reunion publications from both Winnfield High and the University of Southwestern Louisiana (formerly Southwestern Louisiana Institute).
2 feet, 2 ½ inches
Frances Taylor Love was the Director of the Art Museum at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) from 1965 to 1983. This collection consists of her writings. It also contains her working files, which are filed alphabetically by title. She collected material mostly from the Acadiana area. Frances T. Love donated the collection.
2 feet 1 inch; Microfiche: 87 sheets
Records of the First Lutheran Church of Crowley, Louisiana, and St. John Lutheran Church of Iota, La. Includes the original constitution of the Crowley church (in German), pastoral letters, financial reports, business correspondence, parish reports and bulletins, minutes of the Ladies Aide Society, financial statements and treasurer's reports from 1927 to 1954. Also contains bulletins from the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod-Mission of Opelousas, La., 1963-1966.
Marguerite A. Richard Lyle was an associate professor of Communication at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette), a communication consultant, member of the Lafayette Parish School Board, and a local civic leader.This collection contains materials on Mrs. Lyle’s research interests, including listening, memory, thinking, and communication. Besides materials from her courses, workshops and programs, it also includes research materials she used to prepare her lectures and programs.
John J. Lynch a biologist, botanist, and preservationist, specializing in the wetlands and migratory birds. He was especially concerned with the survival of Whooping Cranes in Louisiana. Other endeavors included studies on Louisiana orchids, surveying migratory patterns of waterfowl, and teaching about coastal marshes at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette). This collection consists of Lynch’s research and personal papers, including correspondence, maps, and research and writings on Whooping Cranes, marsh ecology, wildlife, and more. Mary Lynch Courville, daughter of John J. Lynch, donated this collection.
Writings of John J. Lynch.