Note: Larger holdings are labeled "Collection"; smaller holdings (less than 2½ inches) are labeled "Manuscript".
Program announcing the opening of The C.E. Byrd High School, Shreveport, Louisiana. Tuesday, September 15, 1925. Original.
1 volume, 3 folders
The ledger contains accounts for Bellevue Plantation, c. 1860 – 1895. The plantation was located in theYoungsville area of Lafayette Parish. Martha Morse Cade was the widow of Robert Cade. There is also a contract between Mrs. Cade and freedmen (1870); a 1930 land sale by William Cade, and a scan of a photo of Bellevue Plantation.
Material on literature presented in Cajun French by an anonymous individual and delivered to KVPI radio station in Ville Platte, Louisiana. Includes translations of literary excerpts, poems, etc. into Cajun French and grammar of Cajun French.
Photocopy. Original in possession of KVPI. Secured by Marie Mamalakis for the University of Louisiana at Lafayette to copy.
Ora-Westley Schwemmer Cady was a history professor at University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) for more than 30 years. She was a member of several University women's organizations and also served on some of the boards of directors. This collection consists of by-laws, minutes, correspondence, membership records, publications, conference materials, and other miscellaneous materials dealing with the American Association of University Women’s [AAUW]. Schwemmer Cady was a native of Pennsylvania and History Professor at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. She received her doctorate degree in Latin American History from Tulane University. She taught history at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette for more than 30 years. She is a member of several University women's organizations and also served on some of the boards of directors. This collection consists of by-laws, minutes, correspondence, membership records, publications, conference materials and other miscellaneous materials dealing with AAUW and IFUW.
These photographs were given to Southwestern Louisiana Institute (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) by Charles D. Caffery, who was an attorney, Mayor of Lafayette, Louisiana from 1897 to 1903, and the father of Ambassador Jefferson Caffery.
27 feet 6 inches, photographs, artifacts
Diplomat and Assistant Secretary of State. Correspondence, daybooks, newsletters, taped interviews, memoirs, clippings, photos, awards and certificates relating to Caffery's career from his college years through his foreign service. Includes information related to his service in El Salvador, Colombia, Brazil, Cuba, Japan, Germany, Sweden, France, Persia, and Egypt.
Donated by Ambassador and Mrs. Jefferson Caffery.
This collection contains photographs collected by Ambassador Jefferson Caffery. See Collection 45 for Jefferson Caffery’s personal papers.
2 feet 6 inches
Businessman, politician and state senator from Franklin, La. Business correspondence relating to petroleum production, correspondence and other papers of U.S. Senator Donelson Caffery (1825-1906), and Caffery family papers.
Collection contains mainly clippings of Caffery's congressional career, a photograph, and a biographical sketch. Donated by Patrick T. Caffery.
Memoirs of Caffery concerning 1888 hurricane, typescript. "The Storm of Last Island." Donated by Patrick T. Caffery, 1976.
Material related to the erection and dedication of the monument in New Rhodes, Louisiana for Hall-Of-Fame football player Christian Keener Cagle (1904-1942). Also consists of a photograph naming Merryville High School Stadium after Cagle. Photograph of Stadium donated by Lois Cagle. Other material – no donor card.
This collection consists of two ledgers from the Cahanin Store in Opelousas. Volume 1, dated 1838-1840, contains 480 pages. The second ledger is dated December 1847 to 1850 and contains 549 pages. This manuscript kept the sales record of a general store, with many thousands of named accounts and what they bought. There are over 10,000 entries for such products as whiskey, tobacco, quinine, wines, clothing, fabrics, and much more. Volume 1 was donated by Linnie C. Herpin. Volume 2 was purchased from Charles Apfelbaum Rare Manuscripts & Archives.
5 inches, 1 volume
Marie Caillet taught Home Economics at Southwestern Louisiana Institute (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) until her retirement in 1972. She was one of the founding members of the Society for Louisiana Irises. This collection consists of personal information, correspondence, photographs, and material on the Society for Louisiana Irises.
Hazel Holloway Cain was born in Rayne, Louisiana on January 12, 1922, to Angelas Holloway and Estelle Cummings. This collection consistsmainly of stories she wrote that her grandmother told her. These are handwritten. Donated by Hazel H. Cain.
3 ½ feet
The Cajun French Music Association (CFMA) is a non-profit organization of Cajuns and non-Cajuns whose purpose is to promote and preserve Cajun music and various aspects of the Acadian Heritage. This collection consists of correspondence, newsletters, photographs, publications, events material, and audio/visual materials. Donated by the French House (La Maison Française) at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
Cajunland, Louisiana’s French-Speaking Coast, by Bern Keating. National Geographic, volume 129, no.3, March 1966.
Photograph: On the edge of the City in Jefferson Parish is huge, partly empty Camp Plauche, some units of which are now being used to house veterans. ca.1945-1955. (2 copies)
Camp Thistlethwaite is located on Bayou Cocodrie, four (4) miles north of Washington, Louisiana in St. Landry Parish. This is a campsite used by the Boys Scouts of America.
Typescript of two articles, "Moutons to St. James" and "Early Waterways to the Attakapas: St. James to the Teche". Donated by Mrs. Stephen R. Campbell.
The Canal Bank of New Orleans was established on March 5, 1831, for the purpose of financing and digging the New Basin Canal. Booklet commemorating the centennial.
This collection consists of note cards with bibliographic information. Handwritten in French.
Carstens, Jane Ellen (1922-2011). Papers
Correspondence and information related to an attempt to get the Castillo Hotel listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Also, "Self-Guided Tour of Mercy High School", n.d., 1 page. Donated by Marian T. Barras and Jane G. Bulliard.
Microfilm: 14 reels
Records of the Diocese of Louisiana and the Floridas (1576-1803), Immaculate Conception Church of Natchitoches records (1734-1795), and St. Landry dos Opelousas funeral and baptismal registers (1776?-1806).
Miscellaneous materials from Catholic Churches.
Twenty-fourth Annual Children’s Carnival sponsored by Court Immaculata No. 503, Catholic Daughters of America. Theme “The Sleeping Beauty”, Tuesday, February 6, 1961. PROGRAM.
Catholic Daughters of America. Newsletter, 1946. Compiled by Margaret A. Cox, December 1, 1946, New Orleans, LA.
Mt. Carmel Academy. Premium list for 15-Landry, who received 4th English Class Award, 30 June 1891.
Petition from Napoleonville, Louisiana, to state officials supporting cattle tick eradication laws.
Jacqueline (Jacqui) Theresa Michot Ceballos was born in Mamou, Louisiana in 1925. After graduating from Southwestern Louisiana Institute (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette), she moved to New York City to pursue a career in opera. She became involved with feminist activism in the late 1960s, acting as president of the New York chapter of the National Organization for Women (NOW) and as the founder of the Veteran Feminists of America (VFA). This collection contains books collected by Ms. Ceballos with inscriptions written by her, the authors, and/or people who gifted her the books. Ms. Ceballos donated this collection with the help of her nephew Dr. Thomas Michot, her daughter Michèle Ceballos Michot, and her granddaughter Natalia Ronceria Ceballos.
A collection of movie fliers advertising motion pictures which appeared in local movie theaters, especially the Bailey in Opelousas. The fliers are arranged alphabetically by title.
Donated by Yorick Chachere, 1989.
Mainly letters to Jules Chataigne from E. Chataigne (his sister) written in France and Louisiana. There are also letters and papers of Julies Chataigne in France. Donated by Mrs. J.Z. Berard.
Headquarters Fourth U.S. Army Recruiting District, Fort Sam Houston, Texas. This Certificate of Achievement is awarded to Mr. E.J. Chatelain for Outstanding Support of the United States Army Recruiting Program. October 27, 1958.
Frank E. Chowning was a lawyer who practiced in Little Rock, AK. In 1930, he began collecting the native irises of Arkansas and Louisiana. He continued for many years hybridizing and growing them, writing about them, and promoting them through the American Iris Society and the Society for Louisiana Irises. This collection contains correspondence, his writings, certificates and awards, organization publications, photographs, and other materials.
The City Court of Lafayette, State of Louisiana. Centennial Celebration, 100 years, 1910-2010. Friday, July 23, 2010, at 10:00 a.m. Original program.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men. This group planted nearly 3 billion trees to help reforest America, constructed trails, lodges, and related facilities in more than 800 parks nationwide, upgraded most state parks, updated forest fire fighting methods, and built a network of service buildings and public roadways in remote areas. Judith Leger donated the photographs from 1933; her father was a member of the group (is pictured in the August 1933 photograph). Dee Tauzin donated the photograph from 1934; her uncle, Alcee Jefferson Pothier, Jr., was a member and is pictured.
Conveyance record from St. Martin Parish.
2 ½ feet; Map Case 10-06
This collection consists of letters to Florence Carstens Clerc, photographs of the Clerc and Carstens families, Florence Carsten’s school material, and genealogy research of the Clerc and related families. The collection was donated by Judy Clerc Wood Henry.
Gloria Stark Cline was Assistant Director of Public Services and Director of University Libraries at Edith Garland Dupre’ Library. This collection consists of her working files.
Cline, Robert W. ( - ). Papers
6 feet 5 inches
Clippings of local items of interest; many of column by Ben Bayonne. Oversized.
Oversize: 1 box
Janine A. Collins is a portrait artist who has painted more than three hundred portraits that can be found in collections throughout the United States. A portrait of Miss Edith Garland Dupré is housed in Dupré Library at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. This collection consists of 3 prints of her Miss Edith Garland Dupré portrait. Also included is a photocopy of a photograph of the first faculty that includes Miss Dupré. Donated by the Communications Department at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and Ms. Janine A. Collins.
Microfilm: 1292 reels
Microfilmed colonial records copied from repositories in Europe and North America. Drawn from French and Spanish colonial archives, and the British Museum and Public Records Office, the collection focuses on the history of European settlement in the Mississippi Valley, New France, Acadia, Ile Royale, and the French Antilles.
For a further description of the Colonial Louisiana Records Collection, see Brasseaux, Carl A. “The Colonial Records Collection of the Center for Louisiana Studies”, Louisiana History, Vol. XXV, No. 2. pp. 181-188, Spring 1984.
This collection includes most of the materials listed in Nancy M. Miller Surrey’s Calendar of Manuscripts in Paris Archives and Libraries Relating to the History of the Mississippi Valley to 1803. This calendar acts as a comprehensive guide documenting the French experience in the Mississippi Valley. To see Surrey's Calendar in electronic form, see "A Guide to French Louisiana Manuscripts: An expanded and revised edition of the 1926 Surrey Calendar with Appendices" from The Historic New Orleans Collection website.
Elodie Comeaux was a teacher at Judice High School. This collection includes correspondence, writing assignments from her sixth-grade students, and a copy of the Judice High School Scribbler.
Community Baptist Church, a Lighthouse of Prayer, Hope and Healing Fulfilling the Vision. Celebrating 10 years in our Church Building, 800 Rue De Belier, Lafayette, Louisiana on September 21, 2014.
A Confederate Civil War soldier’s letter addressed to Opelousas, Louisiana (1st page of the letter appears to be missing). The writer is discussing a gentleman of both their acquaintances. Original letter.
Scouting report was written by a Confederate soldier regarding work in Louisiana. Handwritten. A letter found in a photo album of a family from Palestine, TX.
War loan bond from 1863. Oversize.
Connelly was the founder of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus, Rome, Italy. She and her husband worked in Grand Coteau, Louisiana when they were opening a school for girls and boys. Cornelia taught music at the girls' school. This collection consists of books, articles, writings, etc. on her life. Donated by Dr. Sarah Brabant.
Includes photocopied articles, newspaper clippings on Connelly and his plays gathered by Dr. Paul T. Nolan in preparation for writing a biography; also the first draft of Nolan's book with notes by Connelly.
2 ½ inches
1st Sergeant H.N. Connor was a soldier in the Civil War. He participated in many battles, including the offshore Battle at Sabine Pass on January 21, 1863. He also participated in the Louisiana battles of Bayou Bourbeau, Fordoche Bayou, and many more between Opelousas and Morgan City. His diary contains illustrative accounts of the battles and the extreme conditions he and other soldiers endured. This collection contains copies of news clippings, a Civil War discharge certificate, notes on the Civil War Jayhawkers, and the diary of H.N. Connor.
Glenn Conrad was born September 3, 1932, in New Iberia, La. He received a Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service from Georgetown University (1953) and a Master of Arts in History (1959). During his career, he served first as an editor for the Federal Bureau of Investigation. He later taught history at Southern State College in Magnolia, AR and the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) (1958-1991). From 1973-1993, Conrad served as the director of the Center of Louisiana Studies at USL. This collection spans from 1767 to 2003, with the bulk of the material between 1970 and 2000. The collection includes Conrad’s professional correspondence (1971-1993), travel vouchers, awards, essays, research notes, manuscripts, biographical sketches, student evaluations, conference material, and collection of books, journal articles, and newspapers.
Ticket stubs, IDs and library cards, conference and symposium packets, invitations, announcements, programs, and flyers from events Conrad attended. During the years he was in school, notes from classes, drafts of papers, and course syllabi are also included. Personal ephemera.
Contains O'Bryan-Perry genealogy, newspaper clippings on members of the O'Bryan and Perry families, correspondence, legal documents, World War II ration stamps and a map of Governor Long's plan for paved highways and free bridges.
Corps of Engineers Aerial Photographs were made primarily to update water/land boundaries and related data on quadrangle charts. These photographs were taken from 1958 to 1964. They come from several repositories from the state, including the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette), Louisiana State University, New Orleans Public Library, Northwestern State University, Louisiana State Library, and LSU-Shreveport. This collection is arranged alphabetically by city/town. There is also a map index.
Miscellaneous invoices, bills, correspondence, etc. of John Costello and Company of Lake Charles, Louisiana.
Letters relating to the war experiences of Harold Cottrell. Photocopies. Donated by Alice C. Stordal.
61 feet; 20 volumes
On July 20, 1968, Gov. John J. McKeithen signed into law Act No. 409 authorizing the establishment of the Council for the Development of French in Louisiana (CODOFIL). It was developed to do all things necessary to accomplish the development, utilization, and preservation of the French language for the cultural, economic and tourist benefit of the state of Louisiana. This collection consists of mostly CODOFIL Office Records, which includes correspondence, meeting agendas, photographs, press releases, news clippings, reports, etc. There are scrapbooks that contain photographs and newspaper clippings from 1966 thru 2001. These are also photographs of the 25th anniversary of CODOFIL and scholarship applications from 1990-2005.
This collection consists of 10 account books documenting economic conditions on the Couret Farm from 1887 to 1966. This includes accounts with tenants. Donated by Mary Agnes Callaway.
Papers on Coushatta linguistics written by Eugene Burnham and David Rising. Donated by the Summer Institute of Linguistics, Inc., Dallas, Texas.
Material related to Coussan's service on the Lafayette Public Library Board of Trustees.
5 ½ feet
Myrta Fair Craig was the editor and publisher of the Rayne Acadian-Tribune. This collection includes numerous articles written by Mrs. Craig, as well as articles about her numerous civic engagements. Also included are newspaper clippings, correspondence, photographs, and personal documents related to the life and work of Myrta Fair Craig. Myrta Fair Craig King, daughter of Mrs. Craig, donated this collection.
2 ½ inches
Ernest Lee Crochet was a native and lifelong resident of Loreauville, Louisiana. His parents were Dosilva and Annette Broussard Crochet. He joined the U.S. Army and served in WWII and the Korean War. After his release from the military, he worked for many years as a surveyor for C.H. Fenstermaker. He died at the age of 90. He is buried at St. Joseph Cemetery, Loreauville, Louisiana. This collection consists of a diary he kept while serving in the military and a Signal Manual photocopy.
1 foot, 1 ½ inches
Paul Crombie was born and raised on Algiers Point in New Orleans, LA. This collection contains Mardi Gras memorabilia Mr. Crombie has collected over the years, mainly necklaces and doubloons. Mr. Crombie began collecting the doubloons in 1960. Paul Crombie donated this collection.
Letter from William C. Crow of Vermilionville (now Lafayette), Louisiana, to Dr. Estorges.
Receipt dated February 8, 1898. Original.
15 inches, 28 volumes
The Crowley’s Woman’s Club records include scrapbooks, minute books, treasurer books, yearbooks, etc., of the association.
Donated by members of the Crowley Woman’s Club: Helen Aaron, Margie McCuller and Florence S. Jones.
William Curtis was an English botanist and entomologist. This is a collection of some of his original illustrations, dated 1800.
Dr. Richard Cusimano was a history professor at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette). His doctorate was in medieval and Renaissance history, and he spent much of his career translating medieval texts, including those in Latin. This collection consists of a series of plates culled from various sources that Dr. Cusimano used for illustrations in his teachings over the years. Donated by Dr. Richard Cusimano.
Microfilm: 2 reels [35mm]; slides
Thetis Cusimano was a special education teacher and a member of the League of Women Voters of Louisiana. Her collection consists of scrapbooks and photograph albums from the Johnny Scott Center (1961/62 to 1964/65) and Northside Central Elementary School PTA (1953/54 to 1960/61) Special Education programs in Lafayette Parish Schools.