Note: Larger holdings are labeled "Collection"; smaller holdings (less than 2½ inches) are labeled "Manuscript".
Microfilm: 1 reel [35 mm, positive]
Membership records of several churches in the Vermilion Circuit of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South: Perry's Bridge (1899-1954); Prairie Greig Church, Henry, Louisiana (1899-1916); and Abbeville Methodist Church 1901-1947). There are quarterly records of the Vermilion Circuit (1910-1913) and collected information on ministers who served the circuit. There are also two brief histories of the Abbeville Methodist Church and correspondence related to gathering information for another publication.
Microfilmed by Dennis Gibson from originals still held by the church.
Edgar Glynn Abel was the Dean of Men at Southwestern Louisiana Institute (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) from 1946 to 1969. He is credited with a leading role in the peaceful racial integration of the school in 1954. This collection consists of correspondence, certificates, clippings, Dean of Men material, and other miscellaneous materials.
2 feet, 7.5 inches; Oversize
Joseph Nicholas Abraham is a physician in Lafayette, Louisiana. He collected memorabilia on Southwestern Louisiana Institute (later, the University of Southwestern Louisiana; now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette). A large part of the collection deals with sports.
This collection consists of a proclamation titled “Acadian Heritage Week” signed by L.J. “Joey” Durel, Jr., City Parish President, and Lafayette Consolidated Government on September 12, 2005. This proclamation in 2005 marks the 250th anniversary of the Deportation and Exile of the Acadians from their homes in maritime Canada in 1755.
The Acadiana Symphony Women’s League celebrates a decade of elegant dining. This manuscript consists of a program for 1996 celebrating a decade of elegant dining.
Narrative and three boxes of slides for the program "A History of the Academy of the Sacred Heart - Grand Coteau, Louisiana, 1821-1971."
Microfilm: 2 reels [35 mm, negative]
These are lists of students who attended the Academy of the Sacred Heart, 1825-1955 and the College of the Sacred Heart, 1917-1943. These registers were used by Anna Jane Marks to prepare Register of Students of the Academy of the Sacred Heart Grand Coteau, La .,1821-1971 (Lafayette, La.: The Acadiana Press, 1981). The registers contain more information on each student than does the Marks book.
The original registers were retained by the Academy of the Sacred Heart.
Academy of the Sacred Heart (St. Michael's Convent, Louisiana). School Registers, 1825-1925
Microfilm: 1 reel
This collection contains financial records, correspondence, programs, pamphlets, news clippings, by-laws, tickets to performances, invitations, and artifacts from the Acadia Parish Arts Council.Donated by Alan Kiesel.
1 foot, 3 inches
The Acadiana Bicentennial Celebration Association was formed in January 1954 to commemorate the expulsion of Acadians from their homeland in Acadia (present-day Nova Scotia) by the British in 1755. Dr. Thomas J. Arceneaux, Dean of the College of Agriculture at Southwestern Louisiana Institute (now University of Louisiana at Lafayette) led this effort. This collection consists of correspondence, clippings, speeches, minutes, programs, and other materials. Aline Arceneaux donated the scrapbook.
Incorporation paper stemming from a public meeting held May 24, 1914, on stationery from the Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette). No donor card.
Scrapbooks, photographs, newsletters and internal correspondence from a local environmental group.
Contains a Cultural Event Calendar for Spring 1975, and the Deep South Festival of Writers News; V. 6 n.1, Summer, 2000.
2 feet 8 inches
Papers of Charles Cain, Leo Hebert and Louis Coussan. Acadiana Neuf papers which consists of correspondence, descriptions of meetings, job applications, charter requests and newspaper articles on an organization which disbursed Economic Opportunity Act funds in the War on Poverty. It covers Lafayette, Acadiana, Iberia, St. Landry, St. Martin, and Vermilion Parishes, Louisiana, with a main office in Lafayette, La.
Different miscellaneous advertisements for Louisiana companies.
Photographs taken at the Breaux Bridge Centennial Celebration on April 10th, 11th, and 12th in 1959.Wayne Alfred acted as the photographer.
Allain, Mathé. Papers
Correspondence and clippings regarding legendary swamp pop musician, educator and author Johnnie Allan.
Minutes of organization founded to divide Calcasieu Parish by founding Allen Parish. Includes letter from J.H. Leggett to Dr. Carter, mainly handwritten. Gift of Mrs. Della Andreassen.
Legal documents related to the sale or purchase of Lafayette newspapers the Advertiser, the Progress, and the Democrat. Photocopies. Donated by Catherine Hazel Alpha, 1990.
12 inches, 7 volumes
This collection contains correspondence, photographs, programs, conference information, etc. dealing with the local and international Altrusa Club.
Dr. Frans Carl Amelinckx was a professor of French and Francophone Studies and the Head of the Department of Foreign Languages at University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) from 1983 until his retirement in 2003. This collection primarily consists of Dr. Amelinckx’s research notes, written works, and personal/professional correspondence, but also contains class materials, graduate student work, and conference materials. The majority of materials in this collection are in French. Donated by Dr. Carol Cedar Amelinckx.
8 feet, 3 inches; 8 volumes
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) started in 1881. The purpose of the Association is to unite the alumnae of different institutions of higher education to advance the economic, political, and educational opportunities for women. This collection is divided into three groups: national, state, and local. It contains organizational records, correspondence, bylaws, conference and convention materials, minutes, reports, and other miscellaneous materials. This collection was initially donated by Laura C. Edwards. Subsequent donations have come from other AAUW members.
73 volumes, 1 foot
This collection contains important reports, records, speeches and documents from the American Rice and Mill Company. The American Rice and Mill Company was formed in the 1900s and ended in 1961. Officers of this company from 1900 to 1940 were J. W. Rooler, President; C. J. Freeland, Vice President; R. A. Nocton, Secretary/Treasurer.
Donated by Freeland Family.
Dr. Barry Jean Ancelet served on the faculty of the University of Southwestern Louisiana/University of Louisiana at Lafayette from 1977 until his retirement in 2016. He was a professor in the Department of Modern Languages, serving as chair of the department and as the first director of the University’s Center for Acadian and Creole Folklore, the largest compilation of media resources pertaining to these two south Louisiana ethnic groups. He was also the co-founder of the Tribute to Cajun Music in 1974, which became the annual Festivals Acadiens. This collection consists of manuscripts from “Suite de loupe” (1998) and “The Makers of Cajun Music” (1984). Dr. Ancelet donated the collection.
2 ½ inches
Ms. Anders was a school teacher based in the Acadiana region. This collection contains biographical information, writings of Ms. Anders, and other miscellaneous materials. Writings include material on the Daughters of the American Revolution, education in Lafayette, and the history of institutions and organizations in Lafayette. A Women in Louisiana Collection.
2 ft. 7.5 in.
Organizational papers of Anthony Muller Camp #8, United Spanish War Volunteers; also proceedings and programs from annual meetings of the Department of Louisiana, USWV association; proceedings, minutes, reports, and programs from the national meetings and conventions of the USWV; publications about the USWV, its ceremonies, procedures, rituals, and history; and artifacts from Anthony Muller Camp #8.
12 feet 6 inches
George Arceneaux, Sr. was a well-known expert in sugar cane technology. For many years he worked for the United States Department of Agriculture. In 1974 he published Youth in Acadie: Reflections on Acadian Life and Culture in Southwest Louisiana.
The collection reflects Arceneaux's involvement with sugarcane, especially as a consultant for the Gulf and Western operation at Central Romania, Dominican Republic. Much of the correspondence and research material is connected with the breeding and selection work carried on there. There is also some material showing Arceneaux's continuing interest in his Acadian heritage.
The collection was donated by Mrs. George Arceneaux, Sr. and Judge and Mrs. George Arceneaux, Jr.
Receipts, consignments, statements, accounts and reports from commission merchants in New Orleans for Louis J. Arceneaux, a Lafayette Parish cotton grower. Much of the material is in French. Includes biographical information and list of cotton carriers to New Orleans, both typed, 1 page. Donated by Beatrix A. Breaux.
2 feet, Oversize
Thomas J. Arceneaux was a professor of Agriculture and the Dean of the College of Agricultrue at Southwestern Louisiana Institute (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette). This collection contains his working files [genealogy], personal papers, class notes, correspondence, photographs, clippings, Acadian history information and other miscellaneous materials.
1 folder (4 pp.)
This is a tape transcript or short essay on the Mexican Border War of 1916-1917 by J.L. Arnandez of New Iberia, Louisiana. It was done for an unidentified person in Lafayette. It is both a general statement about how the dispute with Mexico evolved and an account of some of the experiences of a volunteer involved in the conflict.
1½ feet; 11 volumes
This collection consists of material related to the book St. Francis Regis Catholic Church. This includes photographs, negatives, and proofs.
Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Richard Edwards.
"Barcelonnette Arnaudville", research done by Claude Robert; autographed by the donor. Also Famille Arnaud Jacques, typed transcriptions of "Barcelonnette Arnaudville". Donated by Seola Arnaud and Dick Edwards of Woodlands, TX in 1997.
2 feet, 7 inches
This collection contains artifacts and documents from south and southwest Louisiana.
Microfilm: 6 reels
Civil records, mostly from the 18th and 19th centuries, including original acts, marriage records, and miscellaneous records
Photocopies of legal records from St. Landry Parish and colonial Louisiana, 1786-1860; also a 1919 copy of an 1879 land sale. Donated by Jules R. Ashlock, 1975.
Microfilm: 41 reels
Civil records from the 18th and 19th centuries, including original acts, conveyances, marriage records, mortgages, sheriff's sales, and miscellaneous records
Typescript: draft; in parts more a collection of ideas than a coherent presentation; almost as if this was to fit into work already done by the person to whom this draft was sent. No donor card.
2 feet, 1 inch
This nonprofit organization was formed to study history, genealogy, traditions, and landmarks in St. Martin, St. Mary, Iberia, and Lafayette Parishes, and was to work with any group or individual who recognized the importance of historical materials and objects. The first large project undertaken was to restore the Darby House in New Iberia, Louisiana.This collection contains correspondence, membership records, publications, financial and general records, and meeting materials.
Account book of the trading post in the Attakapas District, May 1812 - February 1814.
Jane Elle Guillory Austen was an educator who had attended Southwestern Louisiana Institute (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette). This collection consists of her teaching certificates, transcripts, photographs, etc.
6 ½ feet, 34 volumes
Ray P. Authement became president of University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) in 1973. He served for 34 years, earning the distinction of being the longest-serving president of a public university in the United States. This collection contains newspaper clippings from his working files, personal correspondence, programs, video tapes, books and artifacts from his various endeavors throughout the community.
Photographs mainly of Hilda Avant as a student and teacher in the 1920s. Also photographs of some relatives (uncle and cousin).Donated by Jeanette P. Reed 1985.
3 reels (35 mm, negative)
Colonial records of Avoyelles Parish filmed by Louisiana State Archives in 1970.
1 CD (59 folders)
This collection contains digitized copies of Avoyelles Parish colonial documents. These documents include sales of land, slaves, and products, mortgages, declaration of homesteads, and judgements. Also included is an Oil and Gas Map of Louisiana. These documents are in French and English. The physical copies of these documents can be found at the Louisiana State Archives. Donated by Sheldon Roy.